11/20/09

we were having a grand night out on the town, grohl n' me. hittin' all the right spots, drinkin' all the right drinks, just two guys having the time of their lives. grohl wouldn't admit it, but i know he was having more fun with me than he ever had touring with kurt blowbain, or recording with the spew fighters, or partying with josh barfomme!  if any of you ever get the chance to be best buds with dave grohl i highly recommend that you do it- you won't be disappointed.

dave had saved my relationships time and again, he was really on a grohll.  but being my relationship guru is a pretty intense job, and eventually he needed to take a moment to mellow out. the instant he stepped outside i pulled my canvas out from under the table and got to work. a vision had been haunting my dreams, an idea for a portrait that i had been contemplating for years. some artists go their entire lives without inspiration like this; without a friend like this.  i knew i had only moments until his guru energies were replenished, but the image practically composed itself. the coloring, the symbolism, the frame i assembled on the spot from glazed balsa wood and gold shavings- these things came to be in the blink of an eye.

dave didn't come back that night. everyone who stopped by the table to say hi and try to capture some of my celebrity essence asked what i was doing, all by myself on a beautiful evening. my response to each was the same:

"waiting for grohl. grohl was here, grohl left, grohl will come again. praise be unto grohl, who sits at my right hand. he will return to rock the living and the dead. amen."